BABI’s family counselling service provides individual and family counselling and support services to parents and caregivers of children aged 0-18, primarily in the Wynnum, Manly and Redlands communities.
The counselling is directed at assisting parents and caregivers who are having difficulties in issues related to parenting their children and young people. The sessions are provided in a safe, respectful and supportive environment by a qualified, professional and caring counsellor. Sessions are generally held at the BABI office.
These sessions can assist in considering options, developing personal goals, and enhancing relationships through a change in life circumstances. Individuals, couples or combinations of family members or other significant people in the life of the person seeking counselling can attend a session.
Counselling session aim to:
- Improve the wellbeing and safety of children, young people and their families;
- Promote healthy and respectful communication and relationships;
- Promote positive and developmentally appropriate parenting skills;
- Prevent entry and/or re-entry into the statutory child protection system; and
- Help preserve healthy families.
Counselling can provide opportunities for clients to find positive and practical ways to work on reducing family conflict and child behavioural issues as well as navigating separation, divorce and step-families.
This program is funded by Department of Child Safety, Youth Justice and Multicultural Affairs under Targeted Family Support Initiative.
For more information or to book an appointment to see a Counsellor, please call 3393 4176 or complete the Online Enquiry Form.
Parenting & Enjoying Teenagers Program
The Parenting & Enjoying Teenagers Program is a popular relaxed and informative program for parents and carers. It runs over six weeks and is best described as a parent education program, specifically for parents and/or carers of young people (aged 10+). It has an early Intervention/prevention focus and aims to provide parents with a workable framework for parenting teenagers. It is offered on a number of occasions throughout the year and is delivered in both Wynnum and the Redlands.
The program covers:
- Adolescent development & challenges of parenting;
- Using effective and assertive communication including the power of active listening;
- Using strengths to build relationships;
- Setting limits and boundaries;
- Developing self-care strategies;
- Dealing with anger—yours and your teen! and
- Hot topics: sex, drugs, alcohol, driving, social media
The cost is $60 or $90 for a couple (negotiable in some circumstances). The program runs throughout school terms with day and evening groups offered.
“BABI and the parenting program – friendly team who are supportive and caring. A warm learning atmosphere in smaller groups. Learning is done in an interactive way as well as light and easy to recall. Thank you for your help. My relationship, particularly the way I interact/deal with my 14 year old son, has improved.” –Anonymous, single mother of one (group participant)
For further information about the next group and to book your place in the Parenting & Enjoying Teenagers Program, please contact Anna at BABI on 3393 4176 or complete the Online Enquiry Form.